How to adopt a dog from Sava's Safe Haven:
STEP 1: Find your suitable dog
STEP 2: Meet our adoption criteria
- Our dogs must be a full member of their adopted family, we will not rehome dogs to live outside;
- The applicant must be able to afford to pay the adoption fee and transportation costs together with the ongoing costs of owning a dog such as vet bills and insurance
- Adopters must be over 23 years of age, and if living with their parents we will involve the parents in the adoption process, in order to ensure they are supportive of the adoption and of the animal residing in their property
- We are unable to rehome to people without an enclosed private garden;
- We are unable to rehome to families with children younger than 5 years;
- Written permission from the landlord will be required for applicants in rented accommodation;
STEP 3: Fill our adoption application
STEP 4: Arrange a phone chat and homecheck with our team
- Condition of other pets
- Whether adequate shelter is provided
- Where the animal will sleep at night
- Size of property/height of wall
- Ensure that the property is fully enclosed
STEP 5: Finish the procedures and organise transport
If everything goes well and we feel that the animal is a good match for your home, we will email/phone call you with instructions concerning payments, transport, and continuing care for your new animal companion.
Some important notes
All our available dogs are healthy to the best of our knowledge, tested for canine parvovirus, distemper and heartworm, and recieve a thorough health check before they depart for their new homes.
Tests are not routinely carried out for the following diseases as these are not prevalent in our area, but tests are available at additional cost if required:
Lyme disease (Borrelia burgdorferi infection), Ehrlichia canis and Ehrlichia ewingii,
Anaplasma phagocytophilum and Anaplasma platys.